Julie Fasone Holder, corporate vice president of marketing & sales, human resources and public affairs for the Dow Chemical Co., offers these tips for success in managing a global workforce;
1. Be guided by business needs.
2. Be a role model. Make sure you are proactively creating a supportive work environment. You need to proactively voice your support for developing conventions for working, and share your own. (For example, I shared with others that I make time to work out to stay healthy and energized, and I don' t work on Saturdays routinely.)
3. Work hard to create a results-oriented culture. Challenge comments that are routed in old perceptions of the workday, such as "they are so dependable because they are always here."
4. Be clear on needs/deadlines. In our world of instant communication, is everything really urgent or does it just feel that way? When do you need it?
5. Be clear on business needs, and then empower people to meet them in ways that allow them to be effective personally and professionally.