This article accompanies Disability Outreach.
Mark Perriello, president and CEO of the American Association of People with Disabilities, recommends the following to enhance an organization's disability diversity and better utilize this sector of talent:
* Make sure employing the disabled is a priority within your company; otherwise, your recruitment efforts won't be successful.
* Form a leadership coalition to maximize community resources and reach a broader audience.
* Partner with universities -- both their career services and disability offices.
* Create an accessible website for job seekers with disabilities that's 508 compliant, according to the amended Rehabilitation Act of 1973 that eliminates barriers in information technology.
* Establish a talent pipeline by offering job-shadowing experiences for high-school students with disabilities.