This article accompanies Strategic Resolve. Work/Life by the Hour.
In Tough Times, Tough Talk, the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution looks at the results of its research into the attitudes of 1,000 people working in the UK, and what can be done about difficult conversations, how conflict can be managed and how full-blown disputes can be resolved most effectively.
Among the research highlights:
* Conflict levels in working life are high and are not any getting any better;
* Conflict is more likely to happen within an organization than outside it;
* A lot of people prefer to ignore conflict and just hope it goes away; and
* Most people won't usually cooperate to sort out conflict.
Some of the tips you may get from this guide:
* Understand how to live in the 'conflict jungle' and that 'Ants' and 'Monkeys' act differently in conflict situations;
* Who you should turn to for help in a conflict; and
* How you can make positive changes in your work.
For more information on the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution, see here.